Little Souls
Welcome to Little Souls!
Please log-in and Enjoy your stay!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Little Souls
Welcome to Little Souls!
Please log-in and Enjoy your stay!
Little Souls
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Little Souls: Your BJD Home

You are not connected. Please login or register

Expensive Hobby?

+4
RainbowCheckers
Deleriumsedge
LadyRANDOMia
GlassPetals
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Expensive Hobby? Empty Expensive Hobby? Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:14 pm

GlassPetals

GlassPetals
New Soul

It seems as though many people on here have more than just a few dolls.

How do you do it?
I may be much younger, but I still had to work a lot in order to save up enough for the one I have.

Is it just that you have been collecting for a long time?

I'm curious to hear what you have to say. :3
(I hope to become a great collector, too!)

2Expensive Hobby? Empty Re: Expensive Hobby? Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:10 pm

LadyRANDOMia

LadyRANDOMia
Little Soul

I started collecting around your age and like you I had to save up a lot. I managed to have the 4 I have now by just saving up for one each year and only looking at ones I could afford in that time Laugh granted one was a graduation gift (asking for one for gift-giving holiday presents is also a good idea Laugh)

now that I'm heading to college and will have a steadier income and such I'll start looking at more expensive dolls Content

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000527166742

3Expensive Hobby? Empty Re: Expensive Hobby? Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:25 am

GlassPetals

GlassPetals
New Soul

Ah. I figure that's what I'll probably do. >_<

4Expensive Hobby? Empty Re: Expensive Hobby? Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:23 am

Deleriumsedge

Deleriumsedge
Little Soul

I saved up for Kiyoshi for a year, hording any extra money I could make (I was a student at the time) and finally bought him. Momo, my sister helped me with (she was second hand, so my sister bought her and I payed her back when I could). Kain, I had just gotten a full time job and took a bit from each paycheck and the same with Yunnie.

5Expensive Hobby? Empty Re: Expensive Hobby? Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:37 am

Anonymous

I am older (in my mid-thirties) and a federal public servant living in a small, isolated community in northern Canada, so I have a decent salary and nothing to spend it on. ;)

But that is all about to change as I am returning to school to do a Masters degree this fall. So I probably won't be buying any dolls for the next few years.

6Expensive Hobby? Empty Re: Expensive Hobby? Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:01 am

GlassPetals

GlassPetals
New Soul

So I suppose it's just something that happens over time. >_<

7Expensive Hobby? Empty Re: Expensive Hobby? Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:00 pm

Deleriumsedge

Deleriumsedge
Little Soul

Yeah. Originally I was only ever going to have one. Now look at me. Four dolls, two on my to get list and one I would love to have but unless she is re-released, could never afford.

8Expensive Hobby? Empty Re: Expensive Hobby? Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:33 pm

Anonymous

Yeah, it really does just sort of happen, it's true. I have been collecting since 2005 so it didn't happen all at once, though. Regular

9Expensive Hobby? Empty Re: Expensive Hobby? Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:17 pm

RainbowCheckers

RainbowCheckers
Senior Soul

I've been collecting for almost 3 years now. I also had to save up money to get my dolls. For birthdays and holidays I'd ask for money, showing family and friends what I planned on doing with it. Some of my family don't care to much for just giving money, but I told them it was kinda like getting a group present. xD

I've also had summer jobs to help earn money. Doing chores around the house for my parents have also helped. ;3

http://lunar-rain.deviantart.com/

10Expensive Hobby? Empty Re: Expensive Hobby? Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:40 pm

EilonwyG

EilonwyG
Little Soul

Well, I've been collecting for five and a half years and started with two. I've amassed over 40 dolls and about 14 heads. I am older and started much older. It helps that I still live with my parents and don't have any major bills to pay. Plus, this is really the only hobby I spend my money on. I still have to save up, especially now as I'm making a lot less than I used to, so I can't save as quickly as I used to. But it's mostly due to time and not having to worry about bills other than my car. Plus it helps that I can also sew for them, so I don't have to worry quite to much about also having enough money to clothe them. lol

http://eilonwyg.livejournal.com/

11Expensive Hobby? Empty Re: Expensive Hobby? Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:17 pm

JinMay

JinMay

Well let's see....My first doll Arrived Jan.12th 2009 so it's been 2 1/2 or so years!

Fo-ru: Grandma bought me for x-mas
Hikaru: Mom bought most of her, I paid for a little. x-mas
Namalie: Grandma bought me. Early b-day.
Cho: Grandma bought me a chinchilla for b-day/some of my allowance, returned it sadly and bought cho!
Cesar's head- Gift from Mom
Isabella- gift from mom x-mas
Relj- Early b-day present from grandma.
Piper-Ann: x-mas, split between grandma and mom
Popy's head was bought at MetroCon so I bought it with Con money from mom >>

Um...Cesar's body was a x-mas from grandma if I recall.

I do not ask for much so when I do I ask for stuff I usually get what I ask for! ^_^ And I can't work due to bad health problems and very bad anxitey attacks so they understand I can't pay for them at all.

http://AutumnSolstice.deviantArt.com

12Expensive Hobby? Empty Re: Expensive Hobby? Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:19 pm

GlassPetals

GlassPetals
New Soul

Ah, sorry to hear that! T^T
But it's good that your mother and grandma are supportive.

13Expensive Hobby? Empty Re: Expensive Hobby? Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:48 pm

JinMay

JinMay

Yeah, it really is! It took some convincing to get them into letting me have expensive dolls but now that are just happy that it makes me so happy!

http://AutumnSolstice.deviantArt.com

14Expensive Hobby? Empty Re: Expensive Hobby? Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:23 pm

GlassPetals

GlassPetals
New Soul

I think it's important to have people understand that. ^^

15Expensive Hobby? Empty Re: Expensive Hobby? Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:42 pm

chrystal

New Soul

I know the last message is old, but I would like to have my say as well. I only started collecting dolls last year. I have a floppy doll that is 47 yrs old - got her when I was 5. She was one of the few dolls that I ever got as my family were poor. Then last year (2011 around about july) I went looking for an action male toy and couldn't find any - I came home with a moxie teenz Tristan, then Melrose. then I found some action figure type dolls and bought some. Then I saw some bjd's whilst browsing the 'net and knew I MUST have one. So in November I bought hujoo dana as she was one of the more affordable dolls. I love her to bits. In January this year (2012) I got 2 bobobie sprites - one for me and one for my sister. I get paid extra for working Sundays and holidays, so was able to pay for one cash at the time. the other put on my credit card and paid through paypal. So that's the story of my doll collection so far. I DO intend buying more dolls, but probably not just yet. I knit, crochet and sew for them and the female dolls have more clothes than me... I also got my sister involved in the dolls as well.

16Expensive Hobby? Empty Re: Expensive Hobby? Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:28 pm

Kelaria

Kelaria
New Soul

My first doll was bought in June 2009 when I first joined the hobby. I admit I kinda rushed it and chose the sculpt in part for the price (noob mistake, I know dodgy ). My husband let me put her on his credit card and thus my first BJD came home!

I joined Den of Angels the same day I ordered her and so, by August I had Marketplace access (according to the standards for access at the time). I ended up buying a Luts Lu-Wen vampire head off the marketplace in mid-August. He wasn't too expensive and I had a good job at the time (although it was a seasonal job).

My third doll (second full doll) was a Soom MD Yrie and I was only able to afford her thanks to Soom's Layaway program! I was also able to buy two Custom House tinies after I finished paying off my Yrie thanks to the huge sale/event they were having (although CH did take 8 months to ship my dolls, which was unacceptable to me, even with the cheap price no ).

My parents tend to be generous about birthday and Christmas money, so that helps with the dolly fund immensely! I ended up selling my first doll and the Soom SG Spinel I bought in July of 2010, which enabled me to have some money available when I got lucky and found a Soom MD Beyla unicorn hybrid on the DoA marketplace for an amazing price! I also got an OE Beyla head later on thanks to the DoA marketplace.

So right now I have four full dolls (all tinies) and two floating heads (my OE Beyla and my Lu-Wen vamp). I lost my good job a while back, so my doll fund has pretty much been running on empty for a while. I've been able to squeeze out a couple purchases (the OE Beyla head, a couple dresses, and some custom blushed Beyla hooves more recently), but I think it'll be a while before I can afford to buy any more dolls. sad I have so many on my wishlist and I'm currently attempting to save for Luts Bory girl twins. Since I'm jobless, the saving is pretty much not happening right now. Hopefully I can find a new job soon! Silent

17Expensive Hobby? Empty Re: Expensive Hobby? Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:10 am

EilonwyG

EilonwyG
Little Soul

Yeah, that's certainly my situation as well - lost my decent paying job and now I'll have to scrimp and save just to get shoes for them! lol Eventually I'll get the others on my list, it just might take me a while.

http://eilonwyg.livejournal.com/

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum