Little Souls
Welcome to Little Souls!
Please log-in and Enjoy your stay!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Little Souls
Welcome to Little Souls!
Please log-in and Enjoy your stay!
Little Souls
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Little Souls: Your BJD Home

You are not connected. Please login or register

How does your family react to the hobby ?

+2
RainbowCheckers
JinMay
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

JinMay

JinMay

My mom s supportive and there are rare moments when she really gets into it, she goes to all my doll meets with me (driver!) And such.My sister HATES them so badly. Tony, my soon to be step-dad doesnt care either way but thinks they are to expensive. My grandma supports buying them but doesnt talk much about them usually, same with grandpa. D:

Other then that only friends know I collect! Grin

http://AutumnSolstice.deviantArt.com

RainbowCheckers

RainbowCheckers
Senior Soul

My family is more or less neutral about it.

My dad more or less tells me "It's your money, just be sure that's what you want to spend it on."
When I lived with my mom, she never really said anything unless I was in the middle of restringing or something. (Then she'd tell me it was kinda weird. xD)
My grandmother loves that I'm into dolls, and tells me that they're cute when she sees me with one.
My brother would just roll his eyes at me when I'd start ranting on things like dolls pinching and kicking.

All in all, my family really doesn't care. Which is alright in my book. They get curious sometimes, and listen to what I say when I talk about them, but leave my dolls alone. My dad will drive me to doll meets and stuff, but doesn't stay.

I have a few friends that are in the hobby, so they are the ones I talk to when I'm excited over new dolls or meetups or other things of the like.

http://lunar-rain.deviantart.com/

Illihanna

Illihanna
New Soul

I'm getting my first doll tomorrow! Woo!

So far my mother is okay with my hobby when I tried to explain it to her tho she does don't understand why the dolls cost so much *shrug*

Everyone else like my brothers, Pops, and sisters they dislike my new hobby and had hoped I would have stopped with the BJD picture ogling a long time ago. My pops thinks they are some sort of possessed dolls @.@, but its my money so as long as he doesn't see them he wouldn't complain.

JinMay

JinMay

Aw well congrats on getting the new doll! I expect to see a box opeing or some pictures! love

And hopefully it will all go well with your family Grin

Last edited by JinMay on Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

RainbowCheckers

RainbowCheckers
Senior Soul

Illihanna wrote:I'm getting my first doll tomorrow! Woo!

So far my mother is okay with my hobby when I tried to explain it to her tho she does don't understand why the dolls cost so much *shrug*

Everyone else like my brothers, Pops, and sisters they dislike my new hobby and had hoped I would have stopped with the BJD picture ogling a long time ago. My pops thinks they are some sort of possessed dolls @.@, but its my money so as long as he doesn't see them he wouldn't complain.

Hopefully they won't hassle you too much about your new doll. 83
My family was a bit against it at first too, mainly because of the money involved. >>

Illihanna

Illihanna
New Soul

RainbowCheckers wrote: Hopefully they won't hassle you too much about your new doll. 83
My family was a bit against it at first too, mainly because of the money involved. >>

Hopefully! What I don't get is how spending 100+ dollars is okay for shoes, clothes, or video games is okay at my house and yet when I buy a 44 cm doll that I can customize and would last longer then all three previous items is seen as wasting money.:/

JinMay

JinMay

Illihanna wrote:
RainbowCheckers wrote: Hopefully they won't hassle you too much about your new doll. 83

Hopefully! What I don't get is how spending 100+ dollars is okay for shoes, clothes, or video games is okay at my house and yet when I buy a 44 cm doll that I can customize and would last longer then all three previous items is seen as wasting money.:/

Yeah my family was a little against it at first but once they really saw how much I loved them they eased it up and chilled out.

Illihanna

Illihanna
New Soul

JinMay wrote:
Illihanna wrote:

Yeah my family was a little against it at first but once they really saw how much I loved them they eased it up and chilled out.

I am hoping for this reaction the most after they realize how much I do like BJDs. Tho my brother is getting better, he sums it up to the equivalent of collecting action figures lol

JinMay

JinMay

Haha yeah ,that works!

RainbowCheckers

RainbowCheckers
Senior Soul

Illihanna wrote:

Yeah.. that's kinda annoying. Silent

EilonwyG

EilonwyG
Little Soul

In the beginning, my parents really didn't like the idea. Partially because of the money, but also because I suppose I'm technically an adult Sick and they didn't see why I needed to own dolls. My mom especially would bug me about how many I had, and after a while I just kind of started to lie about it and make sure my dolls arrived without them knowing.

My father, meanwhile, insisted that all my dolls were female, even the ones that obviously have facial hair. no

After five years of being in the hobby and making new friends becaue of it, along with learning how to sew for them (a skill my mother has been wanting to teach me since I was little), my parents have slowly come around to them. Partially out of necessity, I'm sure (and my mother has no reason to complain of my spending habits - she buys a crapload of Longaberger baskets).

I knew my parents had come around when, while out at a craft fair with my parents and carrying one of my dolls, my father of all people actually explained to one of the crafters what my doll was when she asked about it. I was stunned! They're still not enablers or anything, and I'll never expect them to get me anything that would be for the dolls, but they have no issues with them any more.

My brother and SIL have no opinion on them (I've never discussed them with them before). My younger cousin loves them and wants one of her own and my aunt thinks they're cool too (helps that she's pretty artisticly inclined). Her older brother thinks they're creepy, though. lol

http://eilonwyg.livejournal.com/

Illihanna

Illihanna
New Soul

EilonwyG wrote:In the beginning, my parents really didn't like the idea. Partially because of the money, but also because I suppose I'm technically an adult Sick and they didn't see why I needed to own dolls. My mom especially would bug me about how many I had, and after a while I just kind of started to lie about it and make sure my dolls arrived without them knowing.

My father, meanwhile, insisted that all my dolls were female, even the ones that obviously have facial hair. no

After five years of being in the hobby and making new friends becaue of it, along with learning how to sew for them (a skill my mother has been wanting to teach me since I was little), my parents have slowly come around to them. Partially out of necessity, I'm sure (and my mother has no reason to complain of my spending habits - she buys a crapload of Longaberger baskets).

I knew my parents had come around when, while out at a craft fair with my parents and carrying one of my dolls, my father of all people actually explained to one of the crafters what my doll was when she asked about it. I was stunned! They're still not enablers or anything, and I'll never expect them to get me anything that would be for the dolls, but they have no issues with them any more.

My brother and SIL have no opinion on them (I've never discussed them with them before). My younger cousin loves them and wants one of her own and my aunt thinks they're cool too (helps that she's pretty artisticly inclined). Her older brother thinks they're creepy, though. lol

awww! what a sweet way for your mum and papa to come around.

Deleriumsedge

Deleriumsedge
Little Soul

My Mom collected dolls for years, so it just ended up that I did too. My sister got a BJD before me and now has several so she is fine with them. My Mom likes them, almost bought one from a friend of mine when she was selling an MSD, but decided she didn't want to pay the price for something that I would probably play with more. My Dad and brother are mostly indifferent.

Generally speaking, my Mom worries about how much my sister and I spend on them, but totally bankrolled buying my Jun for me, so it can't bother her that much.

LadyRANDOMia

LadyRANDOMia
Little Soul

My mom and grandma think the hobby is cool and are really supportive (my mom has even helped buy a few of them). They both love sewing outfits for them too. My dad on the other hand doesn't understand it at all, though he has never understood any of my hobbies.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000527166742

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]